Student Life . Student Services . Advising . Selecting Your Major
Selecting Your Major
Choosing a major is one of the most exciting times in a CIA student’s journey. While completing a rigorous year of foundation studies, students begin the major selection process early in the spring semester of their first year. To participate in the major selection process, students typically must complete 36 credits in the foundation program depending on their preferred major area.
Major Selection Activities
For full details on major selection activities, view your Schoology Group.
Mandatory Major Selection Meeting
This meeting is the kick-off of major selection activities and includes:
- An overview of the process with the Director of Academic Services
- A presentation by Career Services
- Tutorials on how to join the Major Selection Group and how to download events from Schoology to your calendar.
- On the four Fridays following the major selection meeting, each environment will give a presentation that provides information about each major within that environment.
- Open houses will be conducted following each environmental introduction.
- Department open houses offer students the opportunity to meet with the department chairperson, faculty, and students in their preferred major.
- On these days, departments are open for you to explore your areas of interest. A representative from each department will offer a presentation and be on-hand to answer any questions you might have.
Major Selection Advising
- Advising is available to students who desire assistance in selecting a major. This is a time for you to meet with an advisor individually to discuss any questions you may have about the major selection process.
Major Selection Application
After open houses are complete:
- Students submit their major selection application (Application will be found on Schoology as a link) online, stating their intended major.
- If the major selection form is not submitted, your name will not appear on the departmental list of applicants and you will not be able to submit a portfolio.
Portfolio Review Week
Students present their portfolios to departments during this week at designated locations. Some departments also require an interview.
Acceptance into a Department
- Acceptance into the major will be determined by portfolio review and may require a personal interview.
- Notification of the department’s decision will be made to the student in writing by the Office of Academic Services.
- Note: Completion of the foundation program does not guarantee acceptance into a major. Students not accepted into a major, or accepted on probation, should contact the Office of Academic Services for specific instructions.
Office of Academic Services
Joseph McCullough Center for the Visual Arts, Room 120
11610 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106
M - F
View CIA’s academic calendar.