Dec 06, 2013
New video highlights George Kozmon's playful work
Nov 02, 2013
Cinematheque to show eight classic comedies by Ernst Lubitsch
Dec 02, 2013
Industrial design grad gives TEDx talk on creative play
Nov 08, 2013
2013 Fall Exhibition
about 17 hours ago via Facebook
Nerf designer and Industrial Design grad Aaron Mead '01 recently demonstrated his approach to designing for creative play at TEDxChemungRiver in Corning, New York. Read more at http://ow.ly/rDPWM.
Dec 02, 2013
CIA's Contemporary Artist Index: 31,000 strong, and now easier to use than ever
Dec 13, 2013 @ CWRU White Building, Room 411 in Cleveland, OH
CWRU + CIA game design final presentation with Microsoft Game Studios
Nov 22, 2013
CIA wins UCI award for Euclid Avenue ArtBox project
Jan 13, 2014
34th annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition
Dec 10, 2013
12/12-14; The Last Time I Saw Macao, White Reindeer, Two by Lubitsch
December 19, 2010
Artists connected with CIA captured 11 of 22 total awards given by the Cleveland-based Community Partnership for Arts and Culture (CPAC).
Five CIA faculty members and four alumni are among 20 Cuyahoga County artists who will each receive $20,000 fellowship awards and additional support services from the Cleveland-based Community Partnership for Arts and Culture (CPAC).
“These wonderful CPAC awards for our faculty and alumni speak volumes about the influence of CIA on the culture and economy of our region,” said CIA President Grafton Nunes. “These artists contribute in very tangible ways to the vibrancy of Greater Cleveland and the national arts culture.”
The CIA-connected winners of CPAC’s 2011 Creative Workforce Fellowships are listed below. Read their biographies here (PDF).
- Dean of Faculty and Professor Matthew Hollern, jewelry and metals. Prof. Hollern’s work is included in the collections of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, The Vatican, DesignMuseo Helsinki, The Ohio Crafts Museum and others. He is a co-founder of Cadlaboration, an inter-institutional collaboration established to foster education and substantive collaboration among artists working with digital technologies.
- Professor Kasumi, T.I.M.E.-Digital Arts. Prof. Kasumi has won global acclaim for her video art in venues from Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall, to festivals in Iran, the Slovak Republic, Turkey, Japan, Korea, Romania, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Holland, France, and England. She recently won the Vimeo Award for Best Remix.
- Professor William Brouillard, ceramics. Prof. Brouillard’s collections are represented by more than 15 centers, including The Cleveland Museum of Art, The Detroit Museum of Art, and the Tokyo National Museum. He has also won numerous grants and awards, including an Excellence in Design Award at the American Craft Museum, The Cleveland Arts Prize for Lifetime Achievement, an Ohio Arts Council Grant, Individual Excellence award, and a McKnight Artist Fellowship.
- Professor Brent Kee Young, glass. Works from Prof. Young’s Matrix series of flame-worked strands of clear glass have been acquired by five major museums: the Smithsonian Museum of American Art, Renwick Gallery; Museum of Fine Arts Boston; Museum of Fine Art Santa Fe; The Toledo Museum of Art; and the Cleveland Museum of Art. Prof. Young is the recipient of a Cleveland Arts Prize, an award from the Ohio Arts Council, and a National Endowment for the Arts purchase award.
- Adjunct faculty member Sai Sinbondit, drawing and foundation. Mr. Sinbondit holds a BFA in painting and printmaking and a master’s degree in architecture. He has exhibited his artwork nationally in museums and galleries and works as an architectural designer at Bostwick Design Partnership.
- Jonathan Wayne ’88, photography
- Michael Romanik ’89, drawing
- Brian Andrew Jasinski ’99, graphic design (now called communication design)
- Niki Smith ’09, drawing; technical assistant, foundation
Two more award winners, Stephanie Craig and Douglas Max Utter, each previously taught at CIA for one year as adjunct faculty members.
A total of 310 craft, design, media, and visual artists went through a two-part application process. For further information about CPAC and the fellowship application review process, go to cpacbiz.org. Or read about this year's awards in The Plain Dealer.
For more information about this or other CIA news, contact us here.