Story: Jan 22, 2015
Interactive mural by Jessica Langley '05 represents the ener...
CIA Exhibition: Jan 15, 2015
35th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition
Story: Jan 09, 2015
Time-lapse video shows completion of major construction on n...
Events: Jan 19, 2015 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH
CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA
Social: about 8 hours ago via Facebook
Interactive mural by Jessica Langley ’05 represents the energy of Cleveland.
Story: Dec 23, 2014
Printmaking project links students with seniors and their st...
CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015
69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition
Story: Nov 03, 2014
CIA video shows off new Uptown Residence Hall
December 19, 2010
Artists connected with CIA captured 11 of 22 total awards given by the Cleveland-based Community Partnership for Arts and Culture (CPAC).
Five CIA faculty members and four alumni are among 20 Cuyahoga County artists who will each receive $20,000 fellowship awards and additional support services from the Cleveland-based Community Partnership for Arts and Culture (CPAC).
“These wonderful CPAC awards for our faculty and alumni speak volumes about the influence of CIA on the culture and economy of our region,” said CIA President Grafton Nunes. “These artists contribute in very tangible ways to the vibrancy of Greater Cleveland and the national arts culture.”
The CIA-connected winners of CPAC’s 2011 Creative Workforce Fellowships are listed below. Read their biographies here (PDF).
- Dean of Faculty and Professor Matthew Hollern, jewelry and metals. Prof. Hollern’s work is included in the collections of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, The Vatican, DesignMuseo Helsinki, The Ohio Crafts Museum and others. He is a co-founder of Cadlaboration, an inter-institutional collaboration established to foster education and substantive collaboration among artists working with digital technologies.
- Professor Kasumi, T.I.M.E.-Digital Arts. Prof. Kasumi has won global acclaim for her video art in venues from Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall, to festivals in Iran, the Slovak Republic, Turkey, Japan, Korea, Romania, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Holland, France, and England. She recently won the Vimeo Award for Best Remix.
- Professor William Brouillard, ceramics. Prof. Brouillard’s collections are represented by more than 15 centers, including The Cleveland Museum of Art, The Detroit Museum of Art, and the Tokyo National Museum. He has also won numerous grants and awards, including an Excellence in Design Award at the American Craft Museum, The Cleveland Arts Prize for Lifetime Achievement, an Ohio Arts Council Grant, Individual Excellence award, and a McKnight Artist Fellowship.
- Professor Brent Kee Young, glass. Works from Prof. Young’s Matrix series of flame-worked strands of clear glass have been acquired by five major museums: the Smithsonian Museum of American Art, Renwick Gallery; Museum of Fine Arts Boston; Museum of Fine Art Santa Fe; The Toledo Museum of Art; and the Cleveland Museum of Art. Prof. Young is the recipient of a Cleveland Arts Prize, an award from the Ohio Arts Council, and a National Endowment for the Arts purchase award.
- Adjunct faculty member Sai Sinbondit, drawing and foundation. Mr. Sinbondit holds a BFA in painting and printmaking and a master’s degree in architecture. He has exhibited his artwork nationally in museums and galleries and works as an architectural designer at Bostwick Design Partnership.
- Jonathan Wayne ’88, photography
- Michael Romanik ’89, drawing
- Brian Andrew Jasinski ’99, graphic design (now called communication design)
- Niki Smith ’09, drawing; technical assistant, foundation
Two more award winners, Stephanie Craig and Douglas Max Utter, each previously taught at CIA for one year as adjunct faculty members.
A total of 310 craft, design, media, and visual artists went through a two-part application process. For further information about CPAC and the fellowship application review process, go to cpacbiz.org. Or read about this year's awards in The Plain Dealer.
For more information about this or other CIA news, contact us here.