View full story n2-clay-studio.jpg

Story: Mar 03, 2015

Ceramics designers learned skills, gained confidence at CIA

View details 69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015

69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

View full story victoryfinal215medium1.jpg

Story: Feb 18, 2015

CIA students create appealing designs for co-working space

View details CIA Financial Aid Nights

Events: Feb 24, 2015

CIA Financial Aid Nights

View Link

Social: about 6 hours ago via Facebook

A panel of faculty jurors recently reviewed artwork from 1,635 students representing 450 U.S. high schools in 39 states for Cleveland Institute of Art's 2015 2D...

View full story newgundfinal1157951robertmullermedium3.jpg

Story: Jan 09, 2015

Time-lapse video shows completion of major construction on n...

View details Photography + Video Exhibition Closing Reception

Events: Mar 06, 2015 @ 78th Street Studios in Cleveland, Ohio

Photography + Video Exhibition Closing Reception

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

CIA video shows off new Uptown Residence Hall

View details Spring 2015 Open House

Events: Mar 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Open House

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . 3D Modeling for Illustration

3D Modeling for Illustration

05/02/14  |  Posted by Jordan Charlton  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

3D is a great tool!

Earlier in the year, I made a post about 3D sculpting. Sculpting and 3D modeling in general are great mediums that are worth taking a look into. I think a lot of Illustrators should explore 3D modeling because there are a lot of interesting things you can do with it. For example, you can use 3D modeling to get a better perspective. You can use very simple boxes to model out a cityscape. You can move the camera around and play with the perspective so that you can get the composition you want and draw from that. You can render out a grayscale image of the scene and create a digital painting from it.

Before you start

For this demo I'm going to be working on an image that I was planning on using for my business cards and include in my portfolio. I got a rough idea of what I wanted to do and planned it out with some sketches. I'm going to be using 3DS Max for the modeling, and Photoshop to finish rendering the image and digitally paint it. I modeled all of the basic shapes in 3DS Max and planned out the basic composition for what I want to paint. I set up some simple lighting within the scene. Next, I render the image as I would normally with whatever size dimensions I want. I usually save the file as a PNG file for a higher quality image to work from, and also for the transparent background. After rendering the base I load up Photoshop. I create a new file with slightly larger dimensions than my render, but I make sure to keep the same ratio in terms of size. A resolution of 300-400 dpi usually works for me if I plan on printing it. I cropped my image and started working on my grayscale painting. Since all of my major shapes are already blocked in thanks to 3D modeling, I just have to start rendering the details. I notice that I could push some of the darks in this image since it is very light in value. Usually, I start with the biggest level of detail then work my way back into the smaller details. I'll take some textures and position them on top of various elements of my painting. I took a gravel texture I found online and overlayed it on top of the stone pillar in the painting to give it a rougher look. After I finish my grayscale work I copy all of my grayscale layers then combine them into one. I set this layer to multiply and put a layer underneath named "base color."I lay down big blocks of color on this layer and use the grayscale “shading layer” as a guide for where to fill in with color. I go back in and paint details. I make some adjustment layers and play with the levels, contrast, brightness, color balance, and the saturation. I save two versions of my file, a high quality one and a lower quality version to post online. This is a quick demo of the process that I use to take a 3D scene and turn it into an Illustration. I hope this trick helps and inspires you to experiment!

0