View full story victoryfinal215medium1.jpg

Story: Feb 18, 2015

CIA students create appealing designs for co-working space

View details CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

Events: Jan 19, 2015 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH

CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

View full story pidkatlynfurnituredesignwinnerfinal214.jpg

Story: Feb 11, 2015

Furniture design competition brings student work to MOCA Cle...

View details 69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015

69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

View Link

Social: 2 days ago via Facebook

Students from Texas, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina are being awarded cash prizes and thousands of dollars of scholarship money as winners of CIA's...

View full story newgundfinal1157951robertmullermedium3.jpg

Story: Jan 09, 2015

Time-lapse video shows completion of major construction on n...

View details CIA Financial Aid Nights

Events: Feb 24, 2015

CIA Financial Aid Nights

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

CIA video shows off new Uptown Residence Hall

View details Spring 2015 Open House

Events: Mar 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Open House

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . How To Generate Your Own Video Effects Without Using Presets

How To Generate Your Own Video Effects Without Using Presets

04/09/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Recently I have been trying to figure out how to create my own video effects with out relying on video editing software. That’s because I not only wanted to save myself some time when rendering, but I also wanted to make something unique for my videos.

What I Used

The presets for blur weren’t quite what I was looking for and when I tried to render the video it was going to take a along time, because of the numbers of files I had with the blur effect on them. To get around having to wait for the video to take hours to render, I decided to try to blur the video while I was taking it. I used clear frosted plastic bags I tied over the lens to create a blur effect, along with holding my glasses up to the lens. The bag blurs the video to a point of being only basic shapes and colors. If you defocus the camera it adds to the softness of the blur. I got a less intense blur by holding my glasses up to the lens.

Why I Use This For My Art

I wanted a blurred effect because I am making a personal piece with a goal to make me feel grounded when I am feeling extremely low or high with my emotions. I have been taking film of people, places, and things that make me feel at peace and calm. It doesn’t matter to me if the video is crystal clear or not. For me, the video being blurred along with having everything be soft shapes and colors is aesthetically pleasing, it also helps me to feel calm. It's not so much the importance of being able to see the people, places, and things in my video but knowing they are there. A different piece I am making is going to be twenty-two 1 minute long videos that I take and distort in camera. Then I am going to make it an interactive video installation by having all the videos copied on to multiple devices and then project them into the same corner, overlapping the video. People can then choose what videos they want to overlap, changing the end result of what they are watching. In addition, I will be making no more than twenty-two and no less than 10 sculptures that people also have the option of putting over the projector to distort the video even more.

What I have discovered So Far

At this moment I have used cheap, clear plastic, iridescent wrapping paper, broken CD shards, broken headlights/taillights, and a cut gemstone to get different distortions on my videos. The cheap plastic is a little box I got when I was a child that held my Pokémon cards and when it’s held over the camera lens, it looks similar to the dust and scratch preset. When I used the iridescent wrapping paper to distort the video, my wrapping paper's base color was pink, it tinted the video pink while giving it an ethereal distorted effect. The broken CD shard gives the video a look similar to being underwater, while also having multiplied lines of the color spectrum moving around while taking the video. The broken headlight/taillight are similar in the aspect that they distort the video into what looks like a honey comb shape and also by making the edges of the video rounded and stretched depending on the piece and what part you have over the lens. The only main difference is that one turns the video red, while the other turns it orange. Using the cut gemstone creates a more controlled version of the kaleidoscope effect, it takes what you are filming and makes a bunch of small videos in different shapes that you can still tell what it is being filmed. My gem is iridescent and tints the video pastel, emphasizing the darks and lights in what I am filming.

0