Search
View full story chiyuliao.jpg

Story: Sep 26, 2014

CIA's Community Works series focuses on socially engaged art...

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View full story croppedrusso.jpg

Story: Sep 22, 2014

Television and film writer teaching narrative writing at CIA

View details Lunch On Fridays: Haishan Deng

Events: Oct 03, 2014

Lunch On Fridays: Haishan Deng

View Link

Social: a day ago via Facebook

Rachel Lamping '14 won first place and the audience favorite award at the California International Animation Festival 2014 for her 2D animation, "Different Not ...

View full story tinacassar.jpg

Story: Sep 16, 2014

CIA Professor Tina Cassara inspires Sculpture Center exhibit...

View details CIA Portfolio Day

Events: Oct 11, 2014

CIA Portfolio Day

View full story dormdeckyoga.jpg

Story: Aug 27, 2014

New residence hall welcomes first-year students in comfort, ...

View details A Creative Life featuring Paul Yanko

Events: Oct 18, 2014 @ William Busta Gallery in Cleveland, OH

A Creative Life featuring Paul Yanko

View details tCX8UDuuP1Q.jpg

Blog: Sep 30, 2014

Bound by Flesh (2012) trailer

View full story liberal-artscma.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

View details Unruly Engagements Conference

Events: Nov 06, 2014 @ Cleveland Institute of Art in Cleveland, OH

Unruly Engagements Conference

Blog . The Making of Inhale

The Making of Inhale

03/20/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Video and Sculpture

The piece I made is a video installation where I project my video through a sculpture made out of a melted shower curtain. There is a pedestal that the Sculpture TA, Erin Duhigg, helped me make. It hides a projector, laptop and speakers, so that all the cords and equipment are hidden. The projector is facing up so that when my piece sits on top of the projector pedestal, the video fills the sculpture as well as shining on the walls and ceiling around it.

The Footage and Editing

For the video I decided to break up non-functional CDs I received for free from a library in my hometown. I liked how they were grey and colorful at the same time. I laid them all out on a desk. I put all the brighter CDs on one end of the desk, and the muted ones on the other side. I took video of each pile that I imported in Premier. I overlaid the muted CD video in the “Color” blending mode over the brighter CD video. This was because it added depth to the video along with a little more pastel color to it. I also slowed down the video by right clicking the clip in the Timeline and selecting “Speed/Duration,” and then manually typing the number. Once my video editing was done, I opened up Garage Band and used the synthesizer effect by pressing keys on the computers keyboard. After I was satisfied with the sound, I saved and exported to iTunes. I imported it into Premier and dragged it over to the Timeline. I slowed down the audio, but you could still hear the notes. Then I watched it again, made a few cuts and rendered it out with these settings: “Format”- QuickTime, “Preset”- HD 1080i 29.97 H.264, AAC 48 kHz, “Video Codec”- Apple ProRes 422 (LT). I also selected “Use Maximum Render Quality” and “Use Frame Blending,” which are at the very bottom of the window. Then I selected “Export” and waited for it to finish.

Inhale

The piece is titled “Inhale” because it is a manifestation on my opinion of vulnerability, and how even though it is viewed as bad, it is actually good. I am reading a book called Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and she explains how vulnerability is good and can change your life in a positive way. When people don’t want to be vulnerable they start to numb their emotions. After awhile, they end up being completely numb. If you open yourself up to vulnerability and accept that it can be good, your outlook on life will change. I have been trying this myself and it has been working very well. This is about breathing in toward trying to become happier.

0