View full story newgundfinal1157951robertmullermedium3.jpg

Story: Jan 09, 2015

Time-lapse video shows completion of major construction on n...

View details 35th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Jan 15, 2015

35th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition

View full story croppedmadesurrealfinalleahandericfinalbestrobertmuller.jpg

Story: Jan 08, 2015

Recognition, milestones were highlights of 2014 for CIA

View details CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

Events: Jan 19, 2015 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH

CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

View Link

Social: about 7 hours ago via Facebook

High school students: There are only a few days left to register for CIAs 2D3D national art + design contest. Deadline: January 30! Enter today by submitting u...

View full story dscabingtonarms5382-2medium.jpg

Story: Dec 23, 2014

Printmaking project links students with seniors and their st...

View details 69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015

69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

CIA video shows off new Uptown Residence Hall

View details CIA Campus Connection: Presidents' Day

Events: Feb 16, 2015

CIA Campus Connection: Presidents' Day

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . The Making of Inhale

The Making of Inhale

03/20/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Video and Sculpture

The piece I made is a video installation where I project my video through a sculpture made out of a melted shower curtain. There is a pedestal that the Sculpture TA, Erin Duhigg, helped me make. It hides a projector, laptop and speakers, so that all the cords and equipment are hidden. The projector is facing up so that when my piece sits on top of the projector pedestal, the video fills the sculpture as well as shining on the walls and ceiling around it.

The Footage and Editing

For the video I decided to break up non-functional CDs I received for free from a library in my hometown. I liked how they were grey and colorful at the same time. I laid them all out on a desk. I put all the brighter CDs on one end of the desk, and the muted ones on the other side. I took video of each pile that I imported in Premier. I overlaid the muted CD video in the “Color” blending mode over the brighter CD video. This was because it added depth to the video along with a little more pastel color to it. I also slowed down the video by right clicking the clip in the Timeline and selecting “Speed/Duration,” and then manually typing the number. Once my video editing was done, I opened up Garage Band and used the synthesizer effect by pressing keys on the computers keyboard. After I was satisfied with the sound, I saved and exported to iTunes. I imported it into Premier and dragged it over to the Timeline. I slowed down the audio, but you could still hear the notes. Then I watched it again, made a few cuts and rendered it out with these settings: “Format”- QuickTime, “Preset”- HD 1080i 29.97 H.264, AAC 48 kHz, “Video Codec”- Apple ProRes 422 (LT). I also selected “Use Maximum Render Quality” and “Use Frame Blending,” which are at the very bottom of the window. Then I selected “Export” and waited for it to finish.

Inhale

The piece is titled “Inhale” because it is a manifestation on my opinion of vulnerability, and how even though it is viewed as bad, it is actually good. I am reading a book called Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and she explains how vulnerability is good and can change your life in a positive way. When people don’t want to be vulnerable they start to numb their emotions. After awhile, they end up being completely numb. If you open yourself up to vulnerability and accept that it can be good, your outlook on life will change. I have been trying this myself and it has been working very well. This is about breathing in toward trying to become happier.

0