Search
View full story pcroppedbarryunderwoodfnlst211.06.jpg

story

Jul 23, 2014

Professor's productive year saw exhibitions, acquisitions, residencies, travel, and press

View details 2014 Student Summer Show

cia exhibition

May 19, 2014

2014 Student Summer Show

View full story -4ea84d4f1e62596d.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

CIA grad's iconic monument to be rededicated

View details 60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

events

Jul 05, 2014

60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

View Link

social

about 14 hours ago via Facebook

Assistant Professor Jimmy Kuehnle recently performed a test run of his giant inflatable sculpture, which will soon be installed in the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in the exhibition “State of the Art: Discovering American Art Now,” in CIA’s parking lot. Read more in this article from The Plain Dealer.

View full story rmblueblockparty2.0panoramafinalstatecopyrightrobertmullerhi.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

Thursday night concert series rocks CIA's neighborhood

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

View full story cc32.jpg

story

Jun 25, 2014

Cuyahoga County unveils county seal designed by CIA student

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View details 2YG1IseZGkU.jpg

blog

Jul 28, 2014

Brasslands (2013) trailer

View full story princeton-reviewcopy.jpg

story

Aug 20, 2013

CIA named one of the "Best in the Midwest"

View details Fall 2014 Open House

events

Nov 15, 2014

Fall 2014 Open House

Blog . Painting Over Video

Painting Over Video

03/20/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

This is something I taught myself last year, and I wanted to refresh my memory and introduce it to other people who have always wanted to try this out!

Getting Started

I am using a video I took from inside a car. I imported my video clip into Adobe Premier. I right clicked on the file and selected “ New Comp from Selection.” Doing this means that when you create a new Composition, the video will be the same size as the video box, instead of it being the wrong size. I used the razor tool to remove the first few seconds of my video where my glove is in the shot. I slowed done the video by right clicking on the file in the timeline, selecting Speed/Duration, and setting it to about 75%. I did this so that the video would be around 15 seconds long. I right clicked on the video again and selected “Unlink” and unlinked the audio from the video. After deleting only the audio, I exported my video with these settings: “Format”- QuickTime, “Preset”- HD 1080i 29.97 H.264, AAC 48 kHz, “Video Codec”- Apple ProRes 422 (LT). I also selected “Use Maximum Render Quality” and “Use Frame Blending,” which are at the very bottom of the window. Then I selected “Export” and waited about 4 minutes to finish.

Switching Over

Now that my video has been rendered I opened Adobe After Effects. I once again import the video file right clicked to make “New Comp from Selection.” I selected the paintbrush tool from the toolbar at the top of the screen. In order to actually start painting/drawing on your video you need to double click on the video in the composition window. A new window with the same video preview will pop up called “Layer 1”.

Doing the Do

You will be treating this almost like it is a stop motion. Every time you draw something you will need to play the video until you want to draw again. Or else you will only have your painting/drawing on there for a few seconds instead of the whole thing. On the right hand side are multiple options for the brush tool. You can change the color of the paint, the brush size and type, its opacity/flow, and lots of other things! Also, you can change the duration of the painting/drawing you do. There are 4 options total, the last one being “Customize”. The “Constant” option does exactly what the name says, whatever you paint will be there the whole time. “Write On” will look like someone is drawing on the video. “Single Frame” is what I will be using and is how to treat this like a stop motion. Whatever you draw will only be on the video for one frame, not the whole length of the video after you draw/paint it. I started off by setting my paint brush options to these: Diameter 41 px, Angle 0, Roundness 100%, Hardness 0, Spacing 25%, Opacity 50%, Flow 100%, Mode “Normal”, Channels “RGBA”, Duration “Single Frame.” I am not the best at drawing and tried my best to draw a cat with wings flying by the window. I wanted it to seem like a daydream so I made it purple and transparent. In the end I made the video about a second long in After Effects because of the render time, then took it into Premier and slowed it down again with the Speed/Duration option. I used the same settings as listed above!

0