Apr. 29: Financial Aid Night at CIA
Register here.

Blog . Changing a Series of Images Into Video

Changing a Series of Images Into Video

01/21/14  |  Posted by Jordan Charlton  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Turning a large quantity of images into a video is ideal for stop motion animation. Whether the images are drawn or captured, they can be played to have some sort of motion or play like a video. Adobe Premiere can take still images and turn them into a video that can be edited with sound.

Setting Up Your Files

First, make sure that all images are saved in the same file type. I saved the images I will be using as JPEG images. Note that you can't have any layered Photoshop files, they have to be flattened image files like JPEG, PNG, or TIFF files. Next, make sure all your images are in the same folder and each image has the same file name with equal numbers behind it. For example, the files I have are named LipSync_Final_00001, LipSync_Final_00002, LipSync_Final_00003, and so on. This is one of the most important steps to the process because those numbers are how premiere recognizes that all the images belong to the same sequence of images.

After the image files are set up, open up Premiere and set up the project file. Make a new file and a new sequence. The sequence settings should match the size of the images. Do that by creating a new sequence, click on the settings tab, and change the width and height of the video to match your image. Standard video sizes are: 852x480, 1280x720 , and 1920x1080.

Importing Files

After setting up the project go to File > Import. An import window will open to navigate to the folder where your images are. Select the first image in the sequence and click the check box that says “Image Sequence” to open. There you have it! The images are now combined into a video. My video is a lip sync animation so I'll be adding sound and changing the speed and length of the video to match my audio. If the video is too fast when imported, right-click and change the Speed Duration, or use the Rate Stretch tool. You can also change the frame rate of the clip by going to Clip > Modify and choose “Interpret Footage”. By default the sequence settings are used. You can click on “Assume This Frame Rate”, and type a number in. Since I know I animated at 24 frames per second that's what I changed it to.

Export and Share!

Now export your video and share it! This technique can be used in a number of ways to make stop motion videos, or in creating an abstract video. I hope you found this post useful and learned something new.

0