Blog . Malcolm Moorer's internship at General Motors

Malcolm Moorer's internship at General Motors

09/10/13  |  Posted by CIA Student  |  Posted in Career Center

Name: Malcolm Moorer

Major: Industrial Design (with a focus on automotive design)

Internship location: General Motors (Warren, MI)

How you found out about the internship:

I found out about my internship through the school, where we often see postings about internships. I was in class when General Motors posted an opportunity to join the work force. My understanding is that it’s uncommon for sophomores to receive internship opportunities from car companies, but that didn't stop me. I sent in my resume, portfolio and cover letter. Shortly after, I got an email and then a phone call extending the offer to me.

What you’re doing:

As an intern at General Motors, I am working as a Creative Sculptor. I work on various show cars in both the Accessories and Components studios. I am also working a little bit in the Cadillac Exterior studio. My tasks vary depending on the assignment. I work with designers in both studios to help them execute their designs. Once designs have been put into a 3-D perspective, they can be reviewed—and changed, if necessary. I have worked on both finessing surfaces and building surfaces based off a sketch.

What you’re learning:

Over the course of this internship, I have learned so much about both sculpting and design. Getting the chance to sit in and listen to professional reviews has helped me better understand how my work has to be. It has encouraged me to work even harder and think through a lot of my solo work. More specifically, I have learned proper tool handling, as well as the principles involved in building a proper surface from a sketch. The opportunity to have professional designers review my personal portfolio and sketches has also been a very awesome experience. Being in different studios has given me a greater understanding of how everyone’s studio has its own workflow. In the end, what matters is the result—a cohesive project. Everyone plays a huge role in the design process.

What has surprised you so far:

The most surprising thing about my internship is everyone’s openness and willingness to help. It’s very exciting to meet so many people who want to help you grow and progress toward your dream. It has also been fascinating to learn more about the other interns’ backgrounds and their different experiences in school.

How CIA prepared you to get the most out of your internship:

CIA prepared me to bring more than a positive attitude to the workplace. It taught me to find different and creative ways to solve problems. My CIA experience helped me bring the hard work and dedication needed to succeed, and made it easy for me to work with others.

0