View full story pidkatlynfurnituredesignwinnerfinal214.jpg

Story: Feb 11, 2015

Furniture design competition brings student work to MOCA Cle...

View details CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

Events: Jan 19, 2015 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH

CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

View full story jessicalangleyrtainstalationmedium1014.jpg

Story: Jan 22, 2015

Interactive mural by Jessica Langley '05 represents the ener...

View details 69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015

69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

View Link

Social: a day ago via Facebook

Students from Texas, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina are being awarded cash prizes and thousands of dollars of scholarship money as winners of CIA's...

View full story newgundfinal1157951robertmullermedium3.jpg

Story: Jan 09, 2015

Time-lapse video shows completion of major construction on n...

View details CIA Financial Aid Nights

Events: Feb 24, 2015

CIA Financial Aid Nights

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

CIA video shows off new Uptown Residence Hall

View details Spring 2015 Open House

Events: Mar 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Open House

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . Hazen Becker's internship at KaBOOM!

Hazen Becker's internship at KaBOOM!

09/10/13  |  Posted by CIA Student  |  Posted in Career Center

Name: Hazen Becker

Major: Illustration

Internship location: KaBOOM! (Washington, DC)

What you did:

I worked in the Mass Action department, which is in charge of advertising, public awareness, and marketing. At the beginning of my internship, I was given simple work, such as transcribing videos and scanning documents for the database. Every now and then, I would get an assignment to create or put together an image using Photoshop. Every time I was given one of these assignments, they were blown away with the quality of my work and the speed with which I completed it.

What you learned:

My internship at KaBOOM! was more than just a learning experience. I truly loved my time there. I learned what it’s truly like to be in an office setting and help keep the wheels turning. I experienced what it’s like to be a part of something bigger.

But most importantly, KaBOOM! helped me realize the type of work setting and atmosphere that appeals to me. I learned where I want to be for the rest of my life. And that alone was worth every minute of my time there.

What surprised you:

I was exceedingly nervous on my first day. I didn’t know what I would be doing or how I would fit in. But, as soon as I walked through the door, my worries were put to rest. The office building itself was decorated and remodeled to provoke and inspire play. The walls and cubicles were painted purple and orange, and incorporated playground equipment such as tire swings and a giant working garage door.

Right off the bat, I felt very comfortable, and that was before I met the employees. Not only were they some of the friendliest people I’ve ever met, but they were all dedicated and very passionate about what they did.

On the Wednesday of my final week, I took part in a playground build in Baltimore, which turned out to be incredible! I got to experience first-hand what KaBOOM! does, which is to help communities build playgrounds in a matter of hours. The build itself was fun, and the atmosphere was inspiring. If anyone ever has a chance to do this in his or her lifetime, I definitely encourage it.

How CIA prepared you to get the most out of your internship:

The lessons I’ve learned as a Drawing major at CIA have helped me develop my skills in illustration and become better at thinking outside the box. My professors taught me how important it is to make sure my designs not only look good, but also have a little something extra—an intelligence, or a cleverness.

During my time at KaBOOM!, I created three fully illustrated invitation cards, along with spot illustrations for office events. These assignments allowed me to fully utilize my drawing and rendering skills, and I can honestly say I had a lot of fun doing so.

0