View full story pidkatlynfurnituredesignwinnerfinal214.jpg

Story: Feb 11, 2015

Furniture design competition brings student work to MOCA Cle...

View details CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

Events: Jan 19, 2015 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH

CIA Freshman Mail Art at MOCA

View full story jessicalangleyrtainstalationmedium1014.jpg

Story: Jan 22, 2015

Interactive mural by Jessica Langley '05 represents the ener...

View details 69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015

69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

View Link

Social: a day ago via Facebook

Students from Texas, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina are being awarded cash prizes and thousands of dollars of scholarship money as winners of CIA's...

View full story newgundfinal1157951robertmullermedium3.jpg

Story: Jan 09, 2015

Time-lapse video shows completion of major construction on n...

View details CIA Financial Aid Nights

Events: Feb 24, 2015

CIA Financial Aid Nights

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

CIA video shows off new Uptown Residence Hall

View details Spring 2015 Open House

Events: Mar 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Open House

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . LetterMPress

LetterMPress

04/17/12  |  Posted by Keri Svoboda  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

When I first came across this app, I thought to myself, "There are a million and five different ways to make a poster in different apps. Why would I want this one?" Five minutes with LetterMPress answered that question for me. LetterMPress allows the user to choose from a variety of virtual printing blocks with the ability to rotate and scale them. But what makes this app especially unique and a jewel in the sea of applications is its ability to make layers of prints in multiple colors to create a single layout. This made me giddy. Finally, an app that puts colors mixing into the artist's hands. The selection of papers, inks, decorative blocks, and also text blocks makes the experience of creating an old, unique print block poster absolutely fascinating. I personally fell in love with the twined rope page borders and the 1920's style stock images. I also appreciate the addition of sound to make my virtual printing experience amazing. Something that I wish was available to the creators was the ability to create new blocks from your photo gallery. Perhaps as another additional app in the future so that these posters can become even more personal. However, there are many, many problems with this application. First of all, there's no obvious way to delete a single block once you have it on the gallery tray without using the undo button for an undetermined amount of time or cleaning the entire tray (screen). If there is a way to delete blocks that have been placed down, I haven't found it yet. Also, it is impossibly difficult to grab blocks once they are below a certain point on the screen. What would make this application more efficient would be the ability to delete these objects and also slightly moving the menu bar at the bottom (or at least make the bar moveable). Also, the ink color sliders don't always work at first (this may be a glitch in the iPad as well), and you have to choose another color in order for the program to recognize that you want another color. And most importantly, it takes a long time to figure out all of the little nuances of this app in order to make it work. Is this app a great idea? Yes! Any time that you give more creative power to the artists allows us to better appreciate the hard work you put into it. But the app has to be clear and have the options to do what the creator wants, including deleting old blocks so we don't run out of space. Unfortunately, with all of these glitches, I am forced to give this app a pretty low rating of 2 out of 5. Do I think that this app has potential if they fix the problems? Most definitely, but until LetterMPress works out the bugs, or lets their users know about deleting objects, I don't recommend that anyone buys this app. This app is simply too much money for all the problems that are with this application, and I can't justify someone spending six dollars for this application. Regardless of my opinion, I will still post the link to the application below. LetterMPress in iTunes - $5.99

0