View full story holidaycardrawley.jpg

Story: Dec 17, 2014

Students animate, illustrate holiday greetings on behalf of ...

View details Fall 2014 Exhibitions

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Fall 2014 Exhibitions

View full story madesurrealvictoriabest4041.jpg

Story: Nov 15, 2014

Students capture two of the top prizes in museum's surreal d...

View details 35th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Jan 14, 2015

35th Annual Scholastic Art & Writing Exhibition

View Link

Social: about 5 hours ago via Facebook

Warm wishes to you this holiday season from the Cleveland Institute of Art! Artwork created by Animation majors Brienne Broyles 16 and Maria Ursetti 16. Rea...

View full story dsc92052.jpg

Story: Nov 04, 2014

New CIA building taking shape; set for December completion

View details 69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

CIA Exhibition: Feb 13, 2015

69th Annual Student Independent Exhibition

View full story unknown.png

Story: Nov 03, 2014

New Uptown Residence Hall featured in CIA video

View details Spring 2015 Open House

Events: Mar 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Open House

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . LetterMPress

LetterMPress

04/17/12  |  Posted by Keri Svoboda  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

When I first came across this app, I thought to myself, "There are a million and five different ways to make a poster in different apps. Why would I want this one?" Five minutes with LetterMPress answered that question for me. LetterMPress allows the user to choose from a variety of virtual printing blocks with the ability to rotate and scale them. But what makes this app especially unique and a jewel in the sea of applications is its ability to make layers of prints in multiple colors to create a single layout. This made me giddy. Finally, an app that puts colors mixing into the artist's hands. The selection of papers, inks, decorative blocks, and also text blocks makes the experience of creating an old, unique print block poster absolutely fascinating. I personally fell in love with the twined rope page borders and the 1920's style stock images. I also appreciate the addition of sound to make my virtual printing experience amazing. Something that I wish was available to the creators was the ability to create new blocks from your photo gallery. Perhaps as another additional app in the future so that these posters can become even more personal. However, there are many, many problems with this application. First of all, there's no obvious way to delete a single block once you have it on the gallery tray without using the undo button for an undetermined amount of time or cleaning the entire tray (screen). If there is a way to delete blocks that have been placed down, I haven't found it yet. Also, it is impossibly difficult to grab blocks once they are below a certain point on the screen. What would make this application more efficient would be the ability to delete these objects and also slightly moving the menu bar at the bottom (or at least make the bar moveable). Also, the ink color sliders don't always work at first (this may be a glitch in the iPad as well), and you have to choose another color in order for the program to recognize that you want another color. And most importantly, it takes a long time to figure out all of the little nuances of this app in order to make it work. Is this app a great idea? Yes! Any time that you give more creative power to the artists allows us to better appreciate the hard work you put into it. But the app has to be clear and have the options to do what the creator wants, including deleting old blocks so we don't run out of space. Unfortunately, with all of these glitches, I am forced to give this app a pretty low rating of 2 out of 5. Do I think that this app has potential if they fix the problems? Most definitely, but until LetterMPress works out the bugs, or lets their users know about deleting objects, I don't recommend that anyone buys this app. This app is simply too much money for all the problems that are with this application, and I can't justify someone spending six dollars for this application. Regardless of my opinion, I will still post the link to the application below. LetterMPress in iTunes - $5.99

0