Search
View full story pcroppedbarryunderwoodfnlst211.06.jpg

story

Jul 23, 2014

Professor's productive year saw exhibitions, acquisitions, residencies, travel, and press

View details 2014 Student Summer Show

cia exhibition

May 19, 2014

2014 Student Summer Show

View full story -4ea84d4f1e62596d.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

CIA grad's iconic monument to be rededicated

View details 60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

events

Jul 05, 2014

60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

View Link

social

about 7 hours ago via Facebook

CIA’s Pre-College Program welcomed 85 high school students from around the country this summer. During this two-week residential program, students used the tools and processes otherwise available only to our students. The program culminated in an exhibition and celebration of their work on Friday, July 25. Please join us in congratulating these gifted students and their accomplishments!

View full story rmblueblockparty2.0panoramafinalstatecopyrightrobertmullerhi.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

Thursday night concert series rocks CIA's neighborhood

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View full story cc32.jpg

story

Jun 25, 2014

Cuyahoga County unveils county seal designed by CIA student

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

View details picresized1405729138double2.jpg

blog

Jul 29, 2014

7/31-8/2: Looney Tunes finale, The Double, Brasslands & more!

View full story princeton-reviewcopy.jpg

story

Aug 20, 2013

CIA named one of the "Best in the Midwest"

View details Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

events

Sep 27, 2014

Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

Blog . Moquu: It sure is... something

Moquu: It sure is... something

03/06/12  |  Posted by Amber Luning  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

Moquu is a scratchable picture maker. What that means is that you can take a sequence of images, and the program will make an animated GIF out of them, which, using the iPad, you can scrub through with a finger swipe, or let the frame by frame play on its own. This is a pretty cool thing, essentially a stop motion program. I was pretty stoked about using it, but in this investigative report, I dive deep into the structure and function of Moquu to see what I can find. It's like diving into the mouth of madness. First off, here is the first thing you see upon opening the program: [caption id="attachment_2893" align="alignnone" width="500" caption="That face I'm making? totally unscripted bafflement."][/caption] I wish I could say there was a walkthrough or maybe a diagram that made some degree of sense, but there wasn't. Not even on their website. Okay, I'm on my own here to figure this out. And eventually I did, although I couldn't get the burst mode to work. Timelapse mode just takes exposures at regular intervals of however many seconds you want, and manual mode is fine, but you have to press the camera button to take the shot, which is a bit irritating if you're using the front camera and are propping your iPad precariously in your coat like I was. Apparently there is an option to import images from your camera into the Moquu timeline, but it did not work for me. Now that I've figured out quite basically how to work the interface, it's time to make a stop motion. This is exciting, because I like stop motion. However, my dreams were dashed when I discovered that Moquu only shoots ten frames. Yes. Ten frames. Not quite enough for a full animation, or really most things at aren't repeatables on the internet like YTMND. So with a heavy heart I resigned myself to doing something goofy. Like drag queen makeup in ten easy steps. Once you've taken all your frames, you are dragged to the frame editor, where you can apply generic stock filters and swap frames around, you know, in case you didn't take them in the order you wanted. Here are some examples of such filters. [caption id="attachment_2896" align="alignnone" width="768" caption="it's getting a little bit fabulous in here."][/caption] That is the pirahna filter. It's my favorite, just a super saturated, super orange one. There are others, naturally, that may be great for other purposes, but I did not choose them for my beautiful project. [caption id="attachment_2897" align="alignnone" width="768" caption="I'm pretty sure I saw a horror film just like this once."][/caption] That is just far too frightening. I went with pirahna, naturally. This is how the finished project turned out. I warn you, it's weird. So now that I have my beautiful art, how can I get it off this iPad? Well, dear readers, the answer is you have to sign up for a Moquu account and host it on their server, at which point you can send it to yourself via email. [caption id="attachment_2898" align="alignnone" width="1024" caption="yep... no saving your project until you pay the piper.. or developer as it may be"][/caption] Also, everything you host on the Moquu server is geotagged and displayed among other submissions from that area. This is respectable in a kind of group art collective kind of way, but a bit weird in the "what if I make something and don't want Moquu to own it before I get a chance to?" kind of way. Or in the "I can't believe I just drag queened myself and now people from all over the world see how sloppy my eyeshadow is!" kind of way. Thankfully I don't have too many issues with the latter, but it is still a point of concern for people who are more conscious about their eyeshadow. So in the end you get a ten frame, animated GIF, to share with family and friends and strangers. You can put hokey filters on it. You can scrub forward and back, but only on your iPad, not on a computer. There are a lot of options that don't seem to do anything and the design is kinda sloppy. So in the end, if you want to play with Moquu to play with it, do it up. The world is your oyster. But if you want to use it for projects, for animating, or even for generating content of your own that you can use (you forfeit all rights to your images the second you host them on Moquu's servers, and you can't get your images off without hosting them). I'd recommend strongly against. That being said, it's a mildly fun free thing to play with. So if you want to do some exercises, or be the next YTMND superstar, this is just fine for you. Moquu is available at the app store - FREE

0