Apr. 1: Financial Aid Night at CIA
Register here.

Blog . Meditoons- Medicine you can Understand

Meditoons- Medicine you can Understand

03/29/12  |  Posted by Keri Svoboda  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Apps & Accessories

Brought to you by WebMD and the American Gastroenteroligcal Association comes Meditoons, the application that allows all kinds of people, from patients, to doctors, a better understanding of disorders. This application is a perfect example of what medical artist can do to make their message clear. MediToons utilizes animation programs to make watching normally uncomfortable medical occurrences fun and interesting to watch, such as how you get hemorrhoids. Quite personally, I have never seen a medical video that is so clear to understand and interesting to watch (this is coming from a biomedical art student, mind you). Most medical illustrative films, like applications or videos created by Focus or McGraw Hill, are very dry and created with minimal 3D work but also very informational. This app does not bore the audience with voice-overs because it does not have the need for it, which is the sign of an excellent video. For students, only the gastric (or the digestive) disorders are available at this time, but I am sure that more will come with time. I like this underdog application, especially since it's free. This is a definite must-try for the freshman who have just been accepted into the Biomedical Art Department (congratulations by the way). I'm not going to give it a 5 out of 5, but I'll give it a solid 3 out of 5. I feel that this application needs to develop more videos to get better reviews, even if the videos are excellent. I also wish I could see what was available for patients and doctors (other groups) after the user has picked a group to view. But, for first releasing this application on the 28th of March, this year (2012), they are off to an excellent start. Meditoons HD in iTunes - Free (subject to change)

1