About . Careers at CIA
Posted On May 04, 2015
The Cleveland Institute of Art is seeking an Admissions Counselor. This position will play a direct role in recruiting potential students by disseminating information to students, parents, art educators, and counselors.
Primary Responsibilities: To recruit prospective students to The Cleveland Institute of Art: Visit high schools and participate in college nights/fairs, and portfolio days as assigned; Conduct presentations and personal interviews with prospective students. Participate in on-campus visitation programming; Review applications for admissions: Respond by mail, e-mail, phone, etc. to prospective student questions; perform data entry using contact management system; coordinate additional projects and program responsibilities as assigned by the Associate Director of Admissions.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
* Coordinate the admissions efforts in the Western United States and Southwest Ohio, with a possible occasional overlap into other areas
* High School Visits - Visit schools and discuss CIA with prospective students, art educators, and counselors
* Portfolio Days, and College Fairs - Represent CIA at programs hosted by colleges, high schools; and public and community organizations
* Interviewing and Counseling - Discuss admission requirements with prospective students, parents, and visitors seeking information
* Application Review - Review admission credentials (application for admission, high school transcript, SAT/ACT test results, and portfolio) to determine eligibility for admission
* Evaluate Recruitment Activities - Assist in periodic written reports and annual report describing and evaluating Office of Admissions recruitment activities
* Conduct Portfolio Reviews – discuss and critique the art portfolios of prospective students
* Additional Duties - individual will perform other related duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Admissions
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
* Must have demonstrated experience in public speaking
* Must be comfortable giving presentations to small and large groups of people
* Must have knowledge of basic art and design principles and of the career opportunities in the visual arts
* Willingness to travel extensively – roughly 8-14 weeks in the Fall and 3 weeks in the Spring
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
A bachelor’s degree is required. Direct experience in art and design and/or in the admissions profession is highly desirable. A valid driver’s license is required.
The Cleveland Institute of Art is one of the nation’s leading independent colleges of art and design. Recognizing the importance of the visual arts in society, the Institute strives to make enduring contributions in education, research and service.
Send resume with cover letter, salary requirements and 3 professional references with phone numbers to:
No phone calls please
The Cleveland Institute of Art is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, and to the principles that promote inclusion.